SS X2 / 10.5.8
- Fixed multiple Recognition crash issues.
- False recognition of numbered endings fixed.
- Recognition of Trills improved.
- Reset Permuation default for trills to 8.
- Improved Percussion and TAB staff localization / recognition.
- Recognize fingerings. Fingerings assigned a green color.
- Assign a blue color to slurs (legatos).
- Base transposition for Bass and Alto Part Names fixed: Playback console & Instrument Templates now return a tranpose value of 0.
- Correct Playback Pan problem.
- MusicXML Export
- MusicXML export bug: Bb transposition <diatonic> attribute problem fixed.
- Write chord extensions and augmentations to MusicXML files.
- PianoR was listed twice when exported to MusicXML files. Fixed.
- ENF Editing
- Mac keyboard shortcuts for Rests and Accidentals fixed.
- Overlapped notes behavior fixed.
- File > Open: Set "File Type" to "All Readable Files" as default.
- DVD Installers - SmartScore Pro no longer the default selection.
- Correct mis-spelled word in Recognition Options ("Suppress").
- Macintosh installer updated - Apple Developer code signing updated.
SS X2 / 10.5.6
- MusicXML Export
- Accidental <alter> elements that belong to tied notes when crossing barlines now reiterated.
- <sound xxxx> elements added for tempo and dynamic markings. Sfz and Sf elements included.
- <diatonic>-and <octave-change> tags now added helping to define transposed instruments.
- Tuplet attribute added to <note><time-modification> nodes.
- Empty <frame> elements removed from guitar fret symbols.
- Reduced false positives: Numbered endings and Ped markings.
- Suppress Chord Symbols bug fixed.
- Join Offset Voices default = smaller gap.
- Base transpositions for various instruments fixed.
- Playback Console can now be suppressed (EDIT > Program Preferences).
- Save As .WAV / .AIFF - Burn to Audio CD
- Truncated .WAV recording bug fixed.
- Aria/Garritan playback now supported.
- All installers and demos now digitally code signed (Mac and Windows).
- MIDI Edition Only
- Editing note events in Piano Roll bug fixed.
- SmartScore Player
- All available toolbars now visible.
- TIF-to-ENF files automatically associated.
SS X2 / 10.5.5
- Improved recognition accuracy for various beamed groupings.
- .WAV / .AIFF recording bugs fixed:
- Muted track are now supressed properly.
- All settings in Playback Console are now applied during Aria recording.
- Playback of dynamics in Aria Player improved.
- Improved differentiation between staff lines during recognition.
- Begin Recognition default options:
- "Join Offset Voices" active region widened to 1/4 of the width of each notehead.
- Recognition Options reset to default when new SmartScore session is opened.
- MusicXML bug fixed: Guitar fret symbols no longer write <empty> frame elements.
- Quick-select (Ctl+Click) fixed for selecting existing mordants.
- Improved recognition accuracy (Prodigy Engine) and playback (Aria)
- All rests (whole, half, 8th, 16h, 32nd, 64th)
- Whole notes
- Whole note clusters
- Half notes
- Half note clusers
- Multi-measure rests
- Less false positives
- Playback of dynamics (cresc/decresc/hairpins,etc) in Aria Player improved.
- Piano Edition Save As.. bug fixed ("ENF not implemented").
SS X2 / 10.5.0
- Significant improvement in music recognition accuracy with the addition of new Prodigy Engine. Accuracy is improved for:
- Poorly printed / poorly scanned originals
- Jazz fonts / Fake books
- Lyric / text recognition (OCR)
- Key signatures and change-of-key signatures
- Time signatures and change-of-time signatures
- Triplets including standalone (without brackets)
- Non-triplet tuplets
- Notes with broken stems
- Beamed groups with broken stems
- Improve recognition accuracy of scores having overly "thin" or "thick" lines
- Recognizes umlauts for German characters
- Scanning Interface improvements: Improved Canon & Epson performance, MacOS 10.6/7/8 optimization
- Improved recognition options
- PDF processing improved. User always controls thresholding.
- Includes custom orchestral, pop and jazz instrument sound set from Garritan
- Includes Aria player from Plogue (VST & AU)
- Includes custom Aria "Ensemble" presets for quick instrument assignments
- Insert change-of-instrument in the ENF notation window (MIDI playback only)
- Pause feature added to Jukebox
- Karaoke view displays both moving lyrics and moving notation
- Default playback tempo reset to 100 BPM
- ENF Notation Editor
- "Insert MIDI Instrument change" anywhere in ENF score
- Unify Key Signature default automatically resets according to score structure
- Select All (Ctrl+A) activates voice splitting ("H") and stem direction change ("S") globally
- Changed Staff Properties to Score Properties - Insert / Delete Part added
- Save and Open now browse to last directory accessed
- Streamlined menu selections
- EDIT (Insert / Delete System, Part & Staff moved to Score Properties)
- Layout Properties changed to Score Properties (Insert/Delete Part added. TAB added.)
- Add "None" to VIEW Menu > Show > Chord Symbols
- Edit > Page Setup: Bug fixes and wording change
- "Format Score" button added to System Manager Window
- "Change Line / Staff Spacing" button added to Staff Properties Window
- VIEW and WINDOW (Items swapped for clarity)
- Fix Recognition Option > Join Offset Voices = Exactly aligned
- Help menu / User Manual
- "Using SmartScore X2" manual rewritten
- Interactive online help (HTML) updated and improved
10.3.3 / SS X (Win Only)
- Improved Epson Perfection scanner control
- Horizontal cropping problem fixed. Pages now scan 8.5" wide.
10.3.2 / SS X
- PDF Creation / MusicXML / Finale Export
- Bug fixed during PDF creation when Program Preferences > Printing & XML = Center on page.
- Fixed: Intermittent crashing (1 in 30) during .XML file creation.
10.3.1 / SS X (Win Only)
- MusicXML / Finale Export
- Bug fixed where .ENF files created from scratch (from SmartScore templates) failed to convert to XML when Program Preferences > Printing & XML = Center on page.
10.3.0 / SS X
- Improved scanner connectivity and control for Canon LIDE and PIXMA scanners when using SmartScore's scanning interface.
- Implemented smart sensing for non TWAIN-compliant scanners.
- MusicXML / Finale Export
- Improved chord symbol / guitar fretboard placement. Symbols now position directly above corresponding note clusters.
- Improved exported page handling:
- - >Music automatically centers to middle of page: (Program Preferences > Printing & XML > Center to Page = On)
- - >XML pages now export according to default page size
- Notation Editing
- Transposition bug fixed: When a pair of notes with accidentals were tied across a bar line, transposing by key signature would break the tie.
- First scan: "Select Scanner Driver" appears (initial pass only)
- Staff Properties added to Layout Properties control (right-click on any staff line).
- sf and sfz dynamic markings now appear below and not above staff line per convention.
- Problem with chord names not scaling when zooming out now fixed.
- View > Part Names default reset = 1st System Abbreviation
- Claified wording for Edit > Auto-spacing and Auto-beaming: "Select all. Then Apply".
- Music automatically centers to middle of page: (Program Preferences > Printing & XML > Center to Page = On)
- Image Editor
-Greyscale Thresholding control default = Apply to all pages = On
- Improved XML page formatting: Page and system breaks now included.
- Page Setup
- "Format Score" button added to Page Setup window. Format Score environment allows for re-scaling printed output as well respacing and resetting number of barlines per system.
- .WAV creation (Windows)
- Problem with random crashing fixed.
- Bug in assignment of ENF Voices (Layers in Finale) fixed. Voices now import properly as Finale Layers.
- ENF Parts now export transparently to Finale Instruments.
- SmartScore now imports articulation and dynamic markings from MusicXML files.
- ENF Editing
- FILE > Open: "Last looked" directory reinitialized. (Win only).
- Page Setup > Center on Page > Apply: Margin tab controls highlight green for visibility.
- Demos now convert PDF to TIFF for recognition.
- ENF Editing
- EDIT > Program Preferences: New category added: MIDI.
Includes MIDI Channel color and MIDI Instrument defaults.
- EDIT > Document Preferences > Measure numbers:Beginning measure number added. Default = 1.
- Staff Properties: Percussion Map access button added to "Apply Staff Type" option.
- Playback > Automatic Drum Track
- (Mac Only): Drum track list now refreshes when opened and when reordering.
- MIDI View > Piano Roll > Changing velocities of selected range of events
- Problem with files crashing when attempting to change velocities of selected MIDI events in Piano Roll (Edit > Velocity/Duration) now fixed.
- CD Burning
- (Win Only): Problems with some CD burning devices not recording fixed.
- Printing with Hidden Symbols
- Problem with Hidden Symbols printing in Print Preview mode fixed.
- MusicXL Export
- Problem with major seventh chords (e.g. Gmaj7) being interpreted as dominant sevenths (e.g. G7) fixed.
- ENF Editing
- Transposition: Beamed notes now adjust stem direction after transposing across the middle staff line.
- Score Structure: Control button added to Navigator bar. New documents created with the "Apply to New" button in Score Structure window now retain the same staff & system width and height spacing as the original source ENF file in addition to keeping part visibility and MIDI instrument properties.
- System Manager: Control button added to Navigator bar. System Manager window now "floats". This allows focus to shift back to main ENF view while System Manager window remains open.
- Garritan “Aria” player now integrated with SmartScore VST and AU environments.
- Playback Range: Functionality improved. “Play All” option removed.
- Expanded and improved Auto Drum accompaniments. Better, hipper grooves.
Tablature (TAB) Editing
- Supports custom string tunings. Easily reassign unique string pitches.
- Includes new TAB templates including Drop D, Open tunings (D,G,E, etc) plus lapsteel and 10-string pedal steel guitar presets.
- Dynamics, dynamic markings and articulations correctly resized
- Auto-spacing of TAB staves now defaults to OFF.
- MusicXML and Finale Export
- Cross-staff beaming logic improved in exported SmartScore (ENF) and MusicXML files.
-Win: DLL installation routines improved.
- Mac: Error traps fixed in Image Editor and MIDI Editor.
To open detailed description in PDF format, click here.
- Pro, Songbook & Guitar: New multi-string Custom TAB library added:
Convert & edit 16 new string configurations. Add custom configurations.
- Guitar Edition: Single-line TAB recognition and editing now included.
- Improved Part Name / MIDI instrument linking in Playback Console.
- New ENF Jukebox for continuous playback of multiple SmartScore files.
- Change default instruments presets for 1, 2, 3 and 4-stave systems.
- Improved menu configuration and choices.
- Improved guitar fret diagram recognition. "Align chord symbols" added.
- New "Supress chord" and "Supress lyrics" recognition options.
- Automatic tuplet cloning: Improved to include tuplets with rests.
- "Right-drag" + "Copy" writes ENF region to clipboard for pasting as image.
- Lyric dashes now become centered between lyric syllables. Single dash for each note replaces multiple dashes in a melissma.
- 2/4 now defaults to 120 bpm during playback.
- Import MIDI -> ENF: Key signature interpretation problem fixed.
- Problem with Part Names not updating after relinking parts fixed.
- Probelm with Part Names resetting in Super System fixed (in optimzed scores).
- Lock / Unlock problem in Playback Console fixed.
- Save to MIDI (Type 0): Intermittent crash problem fixed.
- Numerous house-keeping, maintenance issues and bug-fixes implemented.
- MusicXML Export Improvements
- Improved page formatting: Margin, page and staff size now properly written.
- Triplets improved.
- Chord and guitar fret symbol positioning improved.
- MIDI instument data now written.
- Tranposed instruments (variable key signatures) now written.
- Scanning and Recognition
- Improved scanner control for Canon and Epson scanners.
- "Use PPC drivers" now defaults to OFF.
NOTE: If scanner fails to respond, try turning "Use PPC drivers" option = ON.
- Improved conversion of PDF files to TIFF. Files now convert with Packbit compression significantly reducing file size .
- ENF files automatically acquire TIFF filename.
- "First look" directory = SmartScore application directory.
- If Overlay view mode is closed, TIFF/ENF Split Screen now opens.
Windows and Mac:
- Split system (coda fragments) now recognized. See revised Recognition Option.
- Problem with Auto-Drum Track list display fixed.
- Percussion staff playback improved.
- ENF Editing
- Editing and positioning control of sf and sfz symbols improved.
- Expanding Palettes: Cntl + click and middle mouse button now open palettes.
- "Error in Measure" highlight feature improved.
- Text Editing
- Modify Style: Click on Text Style now displays example in "Sample" window.
- Program/Document Preferences
- Default size of selected Chord Names, Text and Tempo symbols refined.
- Guitar Chord Library
- Chord library expanded with 35 new chord configurations.
- (b9) and (+) signs added to "Augmentations".
- Problem with "Ask for new chord symbol" option fixed.
- Problem when transposing music containing dynamics or lyrics with German "umlaut" character when "transpose by clef " is selected now fixed.
- Tranpose by Clef feature improved (optimized).
- Part Names in System Manager restored.
- Desktop shortcut fixed (reset "first run" target directory to avoid auto-install)
- Recognition and linking of written chord symbols
- Chord symbols written as text can be configured in various ways:
(e.g. "EMaj7", "E major 7" and "E maj7"). Automated linking of recognized text strings with the appropriate chord configuration in the Guitar Chord Library has been improved.
- MIDI Fixes
- Looped playback improved.
- MIDI recording improved. MIDI recording can begin at any beat.
- Problem of Mac crashing after inserting Drum Style and opening Playback Console fixed.
- Text Styles are now properly saved and stored to user library.
- Mac Scanning (10.5 - Leopard)
- Scanning in Leopard has been fixed.
- When scanning in Leopard, de-select "Use PPC Drivers" checkbox in SmartScore scanning interface. In Tiger, "Use PPC Drivers" should remain checked.
NOTE: Only Epson scanners have been tested. Click here for recommendations.
- CD Writer and .WAV creator (Windows Vista and XP)
- CD writing and .WAV file creation under Windows has bee fixed.
NOTE for Vista users: Windows Media Player 11 must be installed.
- Problem with Hidden Symbols reappearing after restarting SSX fixed.
- Dynamic markings (e.g. fff, p, sf, f) now remain hidden after saving and reopening the ENF file.
- Changing misrecognized staff type fixed.
- Any single staffline in a system with misrecognized number of stafflines (e.g. Guitar TAB instead of 5-line melody), can now be reassigned to its proper staff type by using Properties Tool > Staff Properties > Apply staff types.
- .TIFF extensions now recognized as Image Files.
- Mac .TIFF file extensions are now recognized as image files for editing or recognition.
- Installer / activator for OSX on Japanese systems fixed.
- Prescanned color images are now processed (for TWAIN-challenged scanners)
- Restores proper velocity values to dynamic markings
- Help > SmartScore manual links now properly organized
- Volume, Tempo and other settings in Playback Console are now saved to MIDI
- SmartScore files now successfully save to MIDI Type 0
- Fixes "activation failed" problem with Songbook Edition installer
SmartScore 5 Update Fixes
5.3.4 (Includes all previous 5.x updaters)
- Double-byte text support (For Asian platforms)
- SmartScore files now behave properly during Save and Save As. (For users in Japan, China, Korea, etc.).
- SmartScore ENF Editing
- Problems with re-linking parts in first system fixed.
- Display no longer jumps to top of page when editing lyrics in large-page scores.
- Tenuto markings saved to MIDI files now play back properly.
- Transposition Window
- Clef and key signature source now correctly reflects active staff line.
- (Win only) Pull-down menu now displays all possible MIDI views.
- Added Trills Properties. Trill permutaions now fully defined and controlled.
- Ritard (Ritenudo) - Extend maximum ending retard value from 35% to 15%.
- Notes inside crossed-over staff lines - accidentals not reflected. Fixed.
- Half-note tremelos not playing properly after ENF file is closed. Fixed.
- Damper Pedal Off marking not responding correctly. Fixed.
- Measures-per-system number and placement lost after parts are extracted. Fixed.
- Slurs become corrupt when control handle is dragged off-screen. Fixed.
- "Large noteheads" appear when display is set to 120 dpi. Fixed.
- MusicXML Export
- Chord symbols now written to XML file. Chords import into Finale. Confirmed.
- Non-duple time signatures not correctly written to XML. Fixed.
- Editing and Playback
- Change existing guitar / chord symbols: Select any existing chord symbol with Cntl+Click. Right-click on existing symbol to change to one previously-selected.
- Problems occuring when resizing system width using margin tabs fixed.
- Problem with Page Setup > Center on Page (with "Limit Formatting" = On) fixed.
- Problem with changing half-note tremelo values on the fly fixed.
- Karaoke spacing improved with "Show Dashes" = Off.
- Playback problem with trills becoming applied to all simultaneous voices fixed.
- CD Writer > Export audio file: File format choices corrected.
- Simultaneous recognition of multiple pages with Dual Core computers.
- Improved barline recognition.
- Playback menu > "Play as Written": Entire score will "ignore" time signature.
- Tuplets Properties: Reassign "Division" and "Value" to selected tuplet or to all similar tuplets.
- Note Properties (Properties arrow tool) fixes:.
- - Trills: Certain permutaions fixed.
- - Fermatas: Tempo delay definition and slider direction improved.
- (Mac) MIDI Devices menu item: List improved. Audio MIDI Setup added.
- Karaoke Options: Underlines removed. "Show Dashes" default = Off.
- Problem with transposition in Playback Console (stuck notes) fixed.
- Changed MIDI Volume in Playback Console now saved to ENF file.
- ENF Editing
- "X" Quick Key now toggles between "Delete Any" and "Delete selected symbol"
- Multiple articulations can be inserted by selecting range of notes with Selector Tool ("O" key) and inserting a single articulation.
- Multiple-measure rest fixes:
- - Resized number prints properly.
- - Editing with slurs present in measure no longer crashes file.
- Range of selected MIDI events (Overview and Piano Roll) can be copied and pasted.
- Columnated data in Event List now copies to clipboard (Select All > Copy).
- MIDI-to-ENF (MIDI to Notation)
- MIDI channels are maintained when MIDI file is converted to ENF
- Problem with certain incorrect "track-to-clef " conversions corrected.
- MusicXML Export
- Multi-measure rests supported
- CD Burner > Save to .WAV
- Multiple ENF files can now be saved directly to disk as .WAV files.
Previous 5.x Fixes
(Mac 5.x users )
- Maximum installations notification
- Users are now instructed what to do when maximum of 5 installations are met.
- Intel Mac scanning now functional:
(PowerPC TWAIN drivers are now accessed via Rosetta)
- PowerPC scanning fixes (multiple page scanning problem fixed).
- Save function
- Mac Intel Save problem (5.1.1) requiring "Close window" workaround fixed.
- Save function problem triggered from "close window" button fixed.
(Saved file no longer includes complete path name).
- HELP > Online Verification problem (5.1.1) fixed.
- Lyrics in multiple staves correctly mapped.
- Problem of inserting dash at last note on page fixed.
- Printing problems fixed (including mis-mapped lyrics).
(Win/Mac 5.x users )
- Improved PDF file recognition (for PDFs created with high (print) resolution.
- Remove “Override Grey” recognition option. SmartScore now scans in grey.
- Improved ties recognition including ties across systems and pages.
- Chord clusters in different voices are more precisely aligned.
- Offset voices more precisely aligned.
- Improved recognition of cross-staff voices.
- Improved differentiation between lyric and text recognition.
- Improved recognition of dynamic markings. No longer recognized as dumb text.
- System brackets recognition improved and are more properly assigned.
- Recognition stability improved on “marginal-quality” scans .
- "Play as written" (for pickup, incomplete and split measures) can now be applied
globally (Edit > Document Preferences) as well as locally (Barline Properites).
- "Unable to load Timer.dll" problem with internal sound card fixed.
- MIDI settings changed in Playback Console are now saved to the ENF file.
- ENF Editing
- Associate Image Files (5.1 problem) fixed.
- Slur (legato) corruption problem when inserted on steeply angled beams fixed.
- Facing page view problem fixed.
- Multi-measure rests now activated with Ctrl + click
- Non-default time signatures (e.g. 12/8) now activate with Ctrl +click
- Appropiate clef signs are now inserted in opimized staves that are made visible
when parts are extracted in Score Structure
- Beams inserted in Hidden Mode remaining visible when returning to normal
view mode fixed.
- Expanded Guitar Chord Library.
- Display of half-beams are now dynamically controlled based on distance.
- Half-beam direction control (Swap with Select + “F” key).
- Stability during editing improved.
- Auto-recover process improved. Simply rename recovered file and continue.
- Barline removal at end of systems stabilized.
- Text and Lyrics
- Lyrics more precisely associated to noteheads.
- Changes in text styles can now be modified and saved as new styles.
- Melissmas at end of staff line now supported Playback.
- Jumps (codas, segnos, etc.) now work when repeat barlines are not present.
- Karaoke view improved.
- On-the-fly changes made in Playback Console are retained.
- Problem with latency and/or note drop after a jump or a repeat now fixed.
- MIDI Recording and Editing
- Snap To (Quantize) now working during recording.
- Snap To applied to selected set of MIDI events now working.
- DELETE key now deletes selected set of MIDI events.
- MIDI Editing (deleting, cutting and pasting events) stabilized.
- MIDI Recording stabilized. Save function improved.
- MIDI events now sound when pitch is shifted.
- MIDI Type 1 files now supported in more third-party applications.
- Lyrics in multiple fields now print as mapped in ENF display
- Rehearsal marks as letters now print correctly.
- File Export / Import
- .FIN file export crashing problem fixed.
- MIDI files with 2/1 time signature now properly convert to ENF
- Image Editing
Cut, paste and move functions improved.
- Improved Epson Perfection scanner control